Placing the components for the controller I’m building. Will trim the breadboard and drill some holes soon, but this is the general idea.
All encoders are pushbutton, rgb illuminated and detentless (except the 9th encoder on the right, which has clicks and will be used mainly to select options in menus).
The buttons are modifiers that will change what the encoders do for each channel.
I’ve already decoded the Mackie Control protocol, I built a Max for Live patch as a proof of concept and it is working very well within live. Once the hardware is working with the Arduino I’ll be coding this up as a perfect MCU clone.
It has become apparent to me that existing utilities to perform this simple function are rather limited and insufficient to the task, so I’m writing my own.
Here’s a photogallery of the cardboard controller I built for the class I’m teaching at Robotspeak.
Lots of progress on the new control surface I’m making. The 4×4 RGB buttongrid, encoders, and LCDs are all communicating with the Arduino. I’m using Shift registers and pwm led drivers so it’s easily expanded to the 8×8 size of the planned controller, could go even bigger.
Next up: lasering the faceplate, bezel, and plastic buttons. And of course, programming the libraries for the controller so anyone can program it.